Sunday, February 26, 2012

error in Enterprise Manager while returning all or few rows.

Hi, Everyone
I use SQL Server Enterprise Manager to access DB server.
I can connect and see the tables fine. But when i tried
to open table returen all rows or open design table, I
got an error saying:
An unexpected error happend during this operation.
[MS Desgin Tools] -- Not enough storage is available to
complete this operation.
Any idea how to fix this? This is SQL2K SP4 on WIN2K SP4.
Thanks
Adi ..adi wrote:
> Hi, Everyone
> I use SQL Server Enterprise Manager to access DB server.
> I can connect and see the tables fine. But when i tried
> to open table returen all rows or open design table, I
> got an error saying:
> An unexpected error happend during this operation.
> [MS Desgin Tools] -- Not enough storage is available to
> complete this operation.
> Any idea how to fix this? This is SQL2K SP4 on WIN2K SP4.
> Thanks
> Adi ..
>
Don't use Enterprise Manager to view or modify data - use Query Analyzer.
Tracy McKibben
MCDBA
http://www.realsqlguy.com|||I appreciate your advice. But what I am looking for is a solution for the
problem I mentioned.
"Tracy McKibben" wrote:
> adi wrote:
> > Hi, Everyone
> >
> > I use SQL Server Enterprise Manager to access DB server.
> > I can connect and see the tables fine. But when i tried
> > to open table returen all rows or open design table, I
> > got an error saying:
> >
> > An unexpected error happend during this operation.
> > [MS Desgin Tools] -- Not enough storage is available to
> > complete this operation.
> >
> > Any idea how to fix this? This is SQL2K SP4 on WIN2K SP4.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Adi ..
> >
> Don't use Enterprise Manager to view or modify data - use Query Analyzer.
>
> --
> Tracy McKibben
> MCDBA
> http://www.realsqlguy.com
>|||adi wrote:
> I appreciate your advice. But what I am looking for is a solution for the
> problem I mentioned.
>
Start reading:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22enterprise+manager%22+%22Not+enough+storage+is+available+to%22
You could avoid the whole mess by using the proper tools, i.e. using
Query Analyzer instead of Enterprise Manager.
Tracy McKibben
MCDBA
http://www.realsqlguy.com|||Adi,
The nature of the problem mentioned is using the wrong tool for the job.
Enterprise Manager is NOT the 'right' tool to use for table alteration, data
manipulation, or, as you noticed, even viewing large amounts of data.
Tracy's advise is good advise. Continuing to use EM sets you up for
numerous, as of yet, inexperienced, problems -of which this is just the tip
of the iceberg.
Your question is like asking how to hammer a nail with a screwdriver. And
when someone mentions that a hammer would be better, your response is like
saying "I don't care, I am going to hammer the nail with the screwdriver."
You won't find many skilled SQL Server folks actively encouraging or
abetting the use of Enterprise Mangler.
--
Arnie Rowland, Ph.D.
Westwood Consulting, Inc
Most good judgment comes from experience.
Most experience comes from bad judgment.
- Anonymous
"adi" <adi@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4BFDAB54-4ED5-48C7-A19A-2CEAFBA31E02@.microsoft.com...
>I appreciate your advice. But what I am looking for is a solution for the
> problem I mentioned.
> "Tracy McKibben" wrote:
>> adi wrote:
>> > Hi, Everyone
>> >
>> > I use SQL Server Enterprise Manager to access DB server.
>> > I can connect and see the tables fine. But when i tried
>> > to open table returen all rows or open design table, I
>> > got an error saying:
>> >
>> > An unexpected error happend during this operation.
>> > [MS Desgin Tools] -- Not enough storage is available to
>> > complete this operation.
>> >
>> > Any idea how to fix this? This is SQL2K SP4 on WIN2K SP4.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Adi ..
>> >
>> Don't use Enterprise Manager to view or modify data - use Query Analyzer.
>>
>> --
>> Tracy McKibben
>> MCDBA
>> http://www.realsqlguy.com|||Arnie,
Now, I'm not against your advice or anyones for that matter. In fact that's
what we are looking for through these forums. I agree with what you said as
I've been managing SQL Servers since v6.5 days. But if I come accross this
problem and google or MS KB not being able to shortlist the problem
resolution then my search is always for the possible answer to the question.
Thanks again for your wise words. have a good day.
Adi ..
"Arnie Rowland" wrote:
> Adi,
> The nature of the problem mentioned is using the wrong tool for the job.
> Enterprise Manager is NOT the 'right' tool to use for table alteration, data
> manipulation, or, as you noticed, even viewing large amounts of data.
> Tracy's advise is good advise. Continuing to use EM sets you up for
> numerous, as of yet, inexperienced, problems -of which this is just the tip
> of the iceberg.
> Your question is like asking how to hammer a nail with a screwdriver. And
> when someone mentions that a hammer would be better, your response is like
> saying "I don't care, I am going to hammer the nail with the screwdriver."
> You won't find many skilled SQL Server folks actively encouraging or
> abetting the use of Enterprise Mangler.
> --
> Arnie Rowland, Ph.D.
> Westwood Consulting, Inc
> Most good judgment comes from experience.
> Most experience comes from bad judgment.
> - Anonymous
>
> "adi" <adi@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4BFDAB54-4ED5-48C7-A19A-2CEAFBA31E02@.microsoft.com...
> >I appreciate your advice. But what I am looking for is a solution for the
> > problem I mentioned.
> >
> > "Tracy McKibben" wrote:
> >
> >> adi wrote:
> >> > Hi, Everyone
> >> >
> >> > I use SQL Server Enterprise Manager to access DB server.
> >> > I can connect and see the tables fine. But when i tried
> >> > to open table returen all rows or open design table, I
> >> > got an error saying:
> >> >
> >> > An unexpected error happend during this operation.
> >> > [MS Desgin Tools] -- Not enough storage is available to
> >> > complete this operation.
> >> >
> >> > Any idea how to fix this? This is SQL2K SP4 on WIN2K SP4.
> >> >
> >> > Thanks
> >> > Adi ..
> >> >
> >>
> >> Don't use Enterprise Manager to view or modify data - use Query Analyzer.
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Tracy McKibben
> >> MCDBA
> >> http://www.realsqlguy.com
> >>
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment