Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Error installing SQL Server 2000 trial

I understand that to install the Enterprise Manager, I need to download the entire trial version and then select only those components I want to install. After downloading the SQLEVAL.EXE file, attempting to run it generates the following error message:
"There is not enough space on drive c:\ to extract this package
Please free up 439.51 MB and click Retry"
But my hard drive shows over 40 GB of free space. Running XP Home Edition. Machine is 2 weeks old.
You are hitting the classical 4GB free space boundary problem. Create a dummy file of a few hundred MB and you
should be fine.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
"Ramking" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:200CA639-00E3-4169-AE97-21F2D8F3B2CA@.microsoft.com...
> I understand that to install the Enterprise Manager, I need to download the entire trial version and then
select only those components I want to install. After downloading the SQLEVAL.EXE file, attempting to run it
generates the following error message:
> "There is not enough space on drive c:\ to extract this package
> Please free up 439.51 MB and click Retry"
> But my hard drive shows over 40 GB of free space. Running XP Home Edition. Machine is 2 weeks old.
|||a few hundred MB? I have over 40 GB free. I will have to create a 36 GB file?
|||No, it is just when you are on a 4GB boundary (evenly divisable with 4GB). An old bug in the setup program
where some internal variable wraps around.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
"ramking" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:32FED02A-0E85-44D1-89B9-76DAE2938465@.microsoft.com...
> a few hundred MB? I have over 40 GB free. I will have to create a 36 GB file?

No comments:

Post a Comment