Thursday, March 29, 2012

Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

I am having a problem connecting to my sql server express instance from a remote computer. I continue to get the above mentioned error. If I connect for the localhost everything works fine however when I try to connect from a different computer on the LAN it gives me this error. I have turned on remote access and still no luck. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Odds are you haven't created exceptions in the firewall on the remote computer to allow SQL to communicate through it. Check out the complete instructions for enableing remote connections to SQL Express in the KB, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;914277.

FYI - This info is in the FAQ at the top of the forum is you need it again.

Mike

|||

Hi,

Ensure their is no network congesion between PCs you are connecting,

are they on same network segment !?

do you get ping acknoledgement when you ping your sql express from remote pc?

i would suggest you to refer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905618/en-us also.

Hemantgiri S. Goswami

No comments:

Post a Comment